Cubatron L4 at Coachella.
Modular Cubatrons (MC) are 8x8x8 foot cubes containing an array of 1000 lights (10x10x10). Each light is individually controllable by computer to any color and brightness level.
Modular Cubatrons are building blocks for creating larger displays. They can run separately or be synchronized.
The MC uses third generation Triklit lighting technology. Each light contains two RGB LEDs for extra brightness that can be updated 62 times/second with 24-bit color. Lights are housed in a waterproof and UV resistant polycarbonate ball. The wire passes through the center of each ball so the lights form a uniform line.
CONFIGURATIONS (so far)
Most configurations sit on a platform 5 feet above the ground.
- Cubatron D2. Two Modular Cubatrons in a diagonal row.
- Cubatron L3. Three Modular Cubatrons in a row.
- Cubatron L4. Four Modular Cubatrons in a row forming an 8x32 foot wide by 8 foot high display of 4000 lights.
- Cubatron L5. Five Modular Cubatrons in a row. The 5th cube was funded by a Burning Man Art Grant.
- Cubatron L6. Six Modular Cubatrons.
- Jun 26-27, 2015. Paradiso Festival, WA. L5.
- May 24-26, 2013. Electric Daisy Carnival, Chicago. L5.
- May 17-18, 2013. Electric Daisy Carnival, NYC. L5.
- Oct 27, 2012. Ghostship. Treasure Island, CA. L4.
- Jan 21, 2011. Big Day Out. Auckland, NZ. L4.
- Jan 23, 2011. Big Day Out. Gold Coast, AU. L4.
- Jan 26,27 2011. Big Day Out. Sydney, AU. L6.
- Jan 30, 2011. Big Day Out. Melbourne, AU. L4.
- Feb 4, 2011. Big Day Out. Adelaide, AU. L6 bent.
- Feb 6, 2011. Big Day Out. Perth, AU. L4 split.
- Aug 4-6, 2011. Woodstock Festival Poland. Poland. L5.
- Sep 23-24, 2011. Nocturnal Wonderland. San Bernardino, CA. L6 bent.
- Dec 1, 2011. Exploratorium After Dark. San Francisco, CA. L4.
- Jan 7, 2010. Exploratorium After Dark. San Francisco,CA. Cubatron L4. [news article]
- Jan 24-26, 2010. DLD Conference. Munich, Germany. L3.
- March 20, 2010. Beyond Wonderland. San Bernardino, CA. L3.
- March 25-28, 2010. Beatport Beach Party. Insomniac Events. Miami, FL. D2.
- April 16-18, 2010. Coachella Music and Arts Festival. Indio, CA. L5.
- June 5, 2010. Reset Festival. San Diego, CA. L4.
- June 12, 2010. Electric Daisy Carnival. Aurora, CO.
- June 19, 2010. Electric Daisy Carnival. Dallas, TX.
- June 25-26, 2010. Electric Daisy Carnival. Los Angeles, CA. C5.
- Sept 25, 2010. Nocturnal Festival. San Bernardino, CA.
- April 17-19, 2009. Coachella Music and Arts Festival. Indio, CA. Cubatron L4.
- April 25-26, 2009. Stagecoach Music Festival. Indio, CA. Cubatron L4.
- June 18, 2009. Uptown Oakland Street Fair, Oakland, CA. 1 Modular Cubatron.
- June 26-27, 2009. Electric Daisy Carnival. Los Angeles, CA. Cubatron L4.
- Aug 6-9, 2009. SWtmn Festival Sudoeste. Portugal. Cubatron L4.
- Aug 31- Sep 6, 2009. Burning Man. Black Rock City, NV. Cubatron L5.
- Sep 26, 2009. Nocturnal Festival. San Bernardino, CA. Cubatron L5.
Contact the artist below if you are interested in having the Cubatron at your event.
Cubatron L4 at Electric Daisy Carnival.
Single Modular Cubatron at Oakland Street Fair.
Cubatron L5 at Burning Man.
Cubatron L5 at Nocturnal Festival.
Cubatron L3 at DLD, Munich.
Single cube detail.
The Modular Cubatron is based on earlier versions in the Cubatron series.
Search for Cubatron on YouTube and Flickr for more video and photos.
Each MC needs about 1000W of power peak, at 208-240 or 100-120 VAC. So the L4 configuration requires a power supply capable of 4000W peak. A crew of 4-5 people can set up the L4 configuration in under 4 hours. Each MC weighs about 200lbs (90kg) when packed in a shipping crate.